Open PhD Position
We are looking for a PhD student whithin the research and training program "doc.funds.connect - Human-centered Artificial Intelligence (HCAI)", funded by the Austrian Science Fund (FWF) .
Integration of Human Expertise and a-priori Knowledge in White-box Machine Learning
Employment: 30 hours/week for up to 4 years
This PhD project builds upon and extends the interpretation of learning in AI. Interpretability and explainability are essential prerequisites for involving humans holistically in machine learning processes. For structured numerical data, genetic programming-based symbolic regression is a promising approach to learn complex nonlinear systems behavior in interpretable form. Our main goals will be the integration of knowledge from the domain (e.g. physics, chemistry, mechatronics, automotive, or macroeconomics) like (1) knowledge about correlations between features, (2) knowledge about extrapolation behavior, (3) knowledge about partial model structures (model of models) already during the learning phase.
If you would like to apply, please send the following documents to Michael Affenzeller:
- Detailed CV
- Publication list (if you have already published in scientific venues)
- Certificates (including English translations!)
- Lists of courses (and corresponding grades) taken during your studies
- Some documents that demonstrate your scientific writing skills (e.g., a scientific article you published, a seminar paper, your Master's thesis)
- Short statement of your research background, including a short motivation explaining why you are interested in the selected PhD topic (no more than 1 page)